Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Warrington Road Club Response:
June 19th 2020
Please see the latest communication from British Cycling regarding Covid19 and the impact on cycling activities:
The safety and wellbeing of our club members is of paramount importance, as is the reputation of the club. The announcement from BC advises that it is ok to ride in groups of 6 people, yet you have to stay socially distant at 2 metres. It provides no guidance on how in practice to do this with regard to keeping safe on the roads.
Hence, Warrington Road Club (at this present moment) will be not be changing our policy, in that all our official group rides and meets for group rides in club kit at any point are currently banned.
Group rides are classed as anything more than 2 riders, so please continue to ride either solo or with just one other rider. Note that if you do decide to ride as a pair, you need to “socially distance” and a bit of common sense is needed: ie not directly next to someone and not behind in the slipstream.
We will review our policy as the Covid situation improves. Many thanks for your patience and your understanding in this matter, as far as we can tell, our club members have behaved impeccably at this time. Sticking to these rules is a very small thing to ask of people in these difficult times, and we thank you all for your efforts so far.
Further updates as follows:
- Harry Barker 50 Mile Time Trial, Derek Devonport Road Race (TLI) and the 4up Team Time Trial all postponed until 2021.
- Ron Spencer 25 Mile Time Trial is now cancelled, due to be held on the 22nd August, we are not confident that we could run a safe event. We’ll be happy to promote the event in 2021, when we must all hope that life will be back to normal.
- A decision will be made in regards to the 2up Team Time Trial (pair) closer to the event which is due to be run at the end of September 2020.
- Usually at this time of year the club is making a commitment for our trophy presentation in January. In view of the ongoing covid situation and the obvious lack of racing we will not be holding the event. We will have to wait until January 2022 for our 97th Annual Dinner!
- In the light of the inactivity this year, we have agreed that subscriptions paid by all members will be valid through to the end of 2021, this will also apply to new members joining in the next few months.
Best wishes and keep safe.
Warrington Road Club Committee